The 10 Best Snacks for Kids
Lets face it – kids love to snack throughout the day. A quick snack mid morning or afternoon will keep your child going until the next meal. But let’s take a look at the snacks we usual give our kids – pretzels, goldfish, apple slices, chips, hot pockets and the list goes on…
Snacks are definitely a good thing but let’s make snacks a great source of nutrients for your growing child rather than empty calories. Steer clear of sodas and sugar loaded drinks too.
We have put together a list of the best snacks for kids:
- Nuts: A small handful of nuts make an ideal snack. Nuts contain fiber, antioxidants and heart healthy oils.
- Cheese: Protein in cheese make this a kid friendly snack. Maybe pair it with pineapple on little cocktail sticks.
- Fresh Fruit: Make it a little more kid friendly with bite size pieces of apples, grapes, strawberries, bananas.
- Deli Turkey or Ham: Maybe pair up some deli meat with a whole grain cracker.
- Yogurt: Try buying plain Greek style yogurt and adding your own chopped up fresh fruit. Yogurt is an excellent source of calcium too!
- Homemade Chips: Try tossing kale or thin slices of sweet potatoes in olive oil and sea salt and bake in the oven. Sweet potatoes are a wonderful source of Vitamin A, B6, C, and folate.
- Hummus: Maybe a required taste but packed full of protein, serve with wholegrain pita bread.
- Vegetables: Cut up sticks of celery and carrots, serve with cottage cheese for a yummy snack full of protein and essential vitamins.
- Pretzels: Serve into a small bowl rather than eating from the bag.
- Smoothies: Make your own smoothies using fresh or frozen fruit and adding non fat plain yogurt or 100% orange juice.
Help set the stage for a lifetime of healthy eating by teaching your child to make healthy snack choices now. Start today! If your child needs encouragement to eat healthy foods our My Growing Up. Chart can be easily customized using the blank stickers.