Tips for Handling Toddler Temper Tantrums
Temper tantrums – all toddlers go through this stage. It is just a part of growing up. As toddlers cannot express themselves fully it is acted out in their behavior – otherwise known as “Temper Tantrums” .
Even though they are expected, you can still take steps to try to make them less painful for you and your child:
- Try to figure out the triggers, what will set them off?
- Once a tantrum starts, it is often hard to stop ( a little like a train!)
- Stand your ground – Once you give into your child, they have taken control.
- Make sure your child is safe.
- Teach alternatives – Encourage him/her to find a more effective way of responding.
- Respond immediately – don’t wait for repeated behaviors to occur.
- Reward good behavior (positive reinforcement)
- Provide an opportunity to let off steam – outside playtime is ideal.
- Seek help from professionals – don’t be afraid to ask.
We at The Victoria Chart Company are parents too and our kids have gone through this stage. We know that most kids LOVE stickers and respond well to them. A great tool for parents helping their toddlers may like to use our My Big Star Chart. This chart is ideal for supporting behavioral issues associated with toddlers such as sharing, eating, going to bed nicely, toilet training, screaming, biting, running away etc. There are 4 preprinted behaviors already on the chart but it can also be customized to suit your individual needs. Use coupon code vchart15 to save 15% off your order at checkout too.