Simple Tips to Encourage Reading at Home with your Kids
Reading is important! Parents, take note ! You can do much to help develop this skill with your child. These simple tips can help your child master the skill of reading:
- Set a good example – make sure your child sees you read.
- Encourage your child to read.
- Spend the time listening to your child read.
- “Teachable moments” even when out shopping or driving around town – have your child read labels and street signs as you go about your day.
- Follow a recipe together, encouraging your child to read along with you.
- Join the local library and check out books each week.
- Work closely with your child’s teacher to find out how you can help your child at home.
- Spend time reading to your child.
- Have reading materials at home for your child to read.
- Dialogue with your child as you read together, discussing the story book.
- Give your child a book as a treat or reward.
- Set aside a particular time of the day to read with your child – turn off the TV and spend quality time together.
- Put down your phone – do not let calls or texts distract you.
- Encourage your child to sound out words if they are stuck, do not make fun of them if they struggle with words or laugh at them as they read.
- If necessary help your child with hard words.