Happy Father’s Day!
“Any man can be a father but it takes someone special to be a Dad.” — Anne Geddes
Father’s Day is the perfect day to honor Dad’s across the country. By buying gifts we show them how much we appreciate them! We have found some interesting facts by Aha! Parenting about fathers which we would like to share with you: Did you know that:
- Children whose fathers are highly involved with them in a positive way do better in school, demonstrate better psychological well-being and lower levels of delinquency, and ultimately attain higher levels of education and economic self-sufficiency. One of the most important factors in girls’ academic achievement is their father’s belief in them.
- Boys who frequently wish their fathers spent more time with them weigh, on average, 10 pounds more than boys who are satisfied with the amount of time they spend with their dads.
- Kids who feel they have good relationships with their fathers are less likely to use drugs.
- Kids who feel they don’t have their father’s respect are more prone to anxiety.
- An active and nurturing style of fathering is associated with better verbal skills, intellectual functioning, and academic achievement among adolescents.
- When fathers are involved in their children’s education, the kids are more likely to get As, enjoy school, and participate in extracurricular activities.
- Toddlers with involved fathers start school with higher levels of academic readiness. They are more patient and can handle the stresses and frustrations associated with schooling more readily than children with less involved fathers.
- Kids who have problematic relationships with their mothers grow up to be worse parents — UNLESS they have good relationships with their dads, in which case they can become very good parents. (And of course anyone who was parented poorly can become a great parent if they’re willing to do the emotional work).
- Children whose fathers have left them (and who don’t have a strong male role model to replace him) are more likely to drop out of school, abuse drugs and alcohol, and wind up in prison.
- Whether a girl has early and/or unprotected sex is greatly influenced by whether her father was loving and supportive to her. Adolescent girls living in homes without their fathers are 3 times more likely to engage in sexual relations by the time they turn 15, and 5 times more likely to become a teen mother.
To read more of these interesting facts click here. It is indeed a pretty impressive list!
This Father’s Day, have your child create their own masterpiece for their Dad. Click here to download our free Father’s Day picture.