Tips on how to discipline your kids in public
A child’s tantrum at home is one thing, but in public, such as in a grocery store, it is a completely different matter. Do you react the same way? Are you aware of all eyes and ears around watching and listening? There is no reason why your child should get away with misbehaving just because you are out in public; and in fact, your child will quickly learn that he or she can misbehave because they will not be disciplined. When my kids were were growing up , I had a rule that we could leave a store at any point if they misbehaved or ran away. It seemed to work, for the most part.
Tips for when out in public:
- Set the rules before you leave home and make sure they are very clear.
- Stand your ground – Don’t change just because you are out in public.
- Do not belittle your child, consider their feelings.
- Be prepared to follow through 100% of the time.
- Have a reward system in place.
- Stay calm!