Free Summer Reading Programs For Kids
Summer is coming. Students are about to begin their long hot summer and before you know it, they will fall off their normal schedule and their minds become idle. The dreaded “summer slide” sets in. It is a known fact that children can lose up to 2 months of reading achievement during the Summer months. Here is a short list of Summer reading programs for you and your children to enjoy.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. Are you ready to take a reading adventure this summer? Let’s get started! (May 8-September 8, 2017) Take weekly challenges & earn rewards. Help set a new reading world record! The theme this year is Happy Camper: Take a Reading Adventure! Throughout the summer, students will log their reading minutes, earn digital rewards, and access fun reading activities. Sign up Here
- Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program: This Summer, continue to read books! Children in grades 1 – 6 get ready for a Summer of reading adventures! Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal . Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 16th and September 5th, 2017. Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
- Chuck E Cheese’s Read a book every day for 2 weeks and get 10 FREE Tokens at Chuck E Cheese’s. One free token award per child per day. Food purchase is required. (Valid through 12/31/17)
- Sylvan Book Adventure: Book Adventure is a free, online reading program for children in grades K-8. Kids learn to love reading through interactive tools, games and motivational rewards. At Book Adventure, reading is rewarding! Within the Prize Library, kids can search for a prize they’d like to win or exchange points for a prize they have earned by reading books and answering quiz questions correctly. Register here
- Books A Million (Have yet to update their program for 2017) Choose four books from the Summer Reading Adventure section. Read the books and record in your reading journal. When complete, have your parent/guardian sign your journal, then turn it in to your local store to get a free James Patterson Middle School Lunch bag.
All of the above suggestions can be used with our our FREE downloadable Book Review – download from our Free Stuff tab here.