Teaching Kids Good Table Manners
Good table manners are important at all times! Whether you’re eating at home, dining out, or having dinner with friends. Teaching table manners is an important tools for social interaction that will help your child for the rest of their life! Wow- that’s something to think about! We have created our Let’s Eat Together Placemat that teaches children to learn their table manners, sit nicely at a table for mealtimes and to encourage togetherness with family members.
Some basic table manners to teach your child include:
- Wash hands before coming to the table
- Ask if you can help with anything – Set the table perhaps or carry food to the table to help Mom or Dad.
- For direction at the table, watch the host – i.e. when to unfold napkin etc.
- Don’t speak with your mouth full of food
- Don’t chew with an open mouth
- Wait for everyone to be served before starting.
- Do not interrupt when others are talking
- Don’t stuff your face full of food.
- If you cant reach something on the table, ask for someone to pass to you.
- Leave your knife and fork together on the plate when finished.
- When a meal is finished, and you leave the table (after asking to be excused) push back your chair to the table.
- Say thank you!
“The simple act of eating together at the table is the perfect opportunity to talk, bond and learn from one another. Not only does it enrich the feeling of belonging, it is here that children learn etiquette, table manners and the essential skill of how to properly use their knife, fork and spoon.” To order a Lets Eat Together Placemat, use coupon code VCHART15 to save 15%.