5 Simple Back to School Tips for Parents
Summer is coming to an end and the first day of school is coming fast. Most children are anxious and excited. Here are 5 simple tips which may help to make the day easier for your child:
- Remind your child that there are probably a lot of students who are uneasy about the first day of school. This may be at any age. Teachers know that students are nervous and will make an extra effort to make sure everyone feels as comfortable as possible.
- Point out the positive aspects of starting school. She’ll see old friends and meet new ones. Refresh her positive memories about previous years, when she may have returned home after the first day with high spirits because she had a good time.
- Find another child in the neighborhood with whom your student can walk to school or ride on the bus.
- If it is a new school for your child, attend any available orientations and take an opportunity to tour the school before the first day.
- If you feel it is needed, drive your child (or walk with her) to school and pick her up on the first day.
In addition to these tips, make sure that your child is well rested and has a good healthy bedtime routine. The long days of summer can certainly play havoc with a child’s schedule if they are suddenly thrown into a school routine without any preparation. For help with a bedtime try our Good Night Sleep Tight Reward chart.
To more tips on the making the first day of school easier, click here.