How to teach your toddler to share
Help teach your toddler the importance of sharing. After all none of us want to “that parent” whose child is shouting “mine” every time another child tries to play with their toys. Here are a few tips to help you on your way:
1. Start young. Teach sharing by passing the object back and forth while saying “my turn, your turn.”
2. Be a role model. Practice sharing with your child at home and make it fun.
3. Bring a timer to play dates. (or set one on your phone) When it rings, it’s your child’s turn to give a toy to her friend, then she gets it back once the timer rings again. They will soon get used to it.
4. Don’t force your child to share, just try to create an environment that encourage your child to want to share.
5. Plan ahead – if you have a play date at your home and your child has a favorite toy, it may be a good idea for that toy to be put away before guest arrive.
6. Finally, remember to use praise when your child does share.