How to Help Your Child With Reading
Reading is important! Parents, you can do much to help develop this skill with your child. These simple tips can help your child master the skill of reading:
- Set a good example – make sure your child sees you read.
- Encourage your child to read.
- Spend the time listening to your child read.
- “Teachable moments” even when out shopping or driving around town – have your child read labels and street signs as you go about your day.
- Follow a recipe together, encouraging your child to read along with you.
- Join the local library and check out books each week.
- Work closely with your child’s teacher to find out how you can help your child at home.
- Spend time reading to your child.
- Have reading materials at home for your child to read.
- Dialogue with your child as you read together, discussing the story book.
- Give your child a book as a treat or reward.
- Set aside a particular time of the day to read with your child – turn off the TV and spend quality time together.
- Put down your phone – do not let calls or texts distract you.
- Encourage your child to sound out words if they are stuck, do not make fun of them if they struggle with words or laugh at them as they read.
- If necessary help your child with hard words.