How to Encourage Kids to Read During the Summer
The “Summer Slide” is about to start…. Students are about to begin their long hot summer and before you know it they will fall off the normal schedule and their minds start to become idle and so the “Summer Slide” begins. While families are busy planning vacations, mini summer breaks, and generally keeping the kids busy the last thing that springs to mind is the keeping some of the skills learned during the year at school, particularly reading.
So this summer – follow these tips to make it fun.
- Set reading goals.
- Get families involved.
- Create a reading log.
- Check the local public libraries – they also have downloadable audiobooks
- Stories online read by famous actors.
- Check out ReadWriteThink.
- Barnes and Noble are offering a FREE book. Check out details here.
- Set an example – let your kids see you read to.
- Have suitable reading material available.