Winnie the Pooh Day – January 18,2020
One of our favorite holidays is coming soon – Winnie the Pooh Day. This day celebrates the birthday of author A A Milne. It’s one special anniversary fans just can’t bear to miss! Every year, the occasion is marked with events such as a game of pooh sticks, or perhaps a teddy bears’ picnics (don’t forget the honey!)
Christopher Robin, the author’s son featured in many of the stories with Winnie the Pooh and his friends Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore. To many of the Winnie the Pooh fans a visit to Pooh Corner in Hartfield, East Sussex, where the books were written is a must! Perhaps if that is too far to travel head out with your kids and play a game of Pooh Sticks. Here are the instructions!
- Find a river with a bridge – Pooh Sticks is played standing on a bridge. Make sure it is fairly wide and not busy.
- Give each player a stick – Just a stick found on the ground, don’t rip branches off trees.
- Line up along one side of the bridge and hold sticks above the water. All players must remember which stick is theirs.
- Have someone yell ‘Pooh Sticks’ or ‘Go’.
- Everyone drop their sticks.
- Run to other side of bridge, whoever’s sticks emerges first wins.
Some safety tips:
- Make sure you drop the sticks on the upstream side of the bridge.
- Make sure the bridge isn’t busy so that the players don’t risk hitting anyone.
- Don’t fall in!
Happy Winnie the Pooh Day!