Raising Healthy Eaters in the New Year
As a new year starts, try some new ideas on how to make delicious healthy meals for your family. Nutrition is important for growing children and adults too! As a parent raising healthy eaters during these important years by doing your best to:
- Serve regular, balanced meals and snacks with a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
- Meal times should be a calm, enjoying each other, sharing your day time where adults and children can talk together. Check out our Let’s Eat Together Placemat to encourage healthy eating and a bonding time.
- Provide a basket on the table for phones and tablets so that your attention is on each other.
- Explore a variety of flavors and foods from different cultures and cuisines.
- Practice simple food safety, such as washing hands, part of every eating occasion.
- Teach basic skills for making positive food choices away from home.
While this may seem like an intimidating to-do list, two family habits go a long way to making all this happen: regular family meals and involving kids in nutrition from the ground up.